Obesity has become a problem of global magnitude of late. When your body mass index indicates that your weight is even more than what it should have been, had you been overweight, then you may be called obese. Now, there are certain important checkups that you need to follow when you are diagnosed as obese.
It is important that you lose some weight, because obesity affects overall health. Therefore, you will probably need more checkups than a regular non obese person. Here are some health checkups that all obese people need.
Health Checkups that Obese People Need
When a person is obese, a doctor will prescribe him or her some specific tests like thyroid, type two diabetes, liver diseases etc. Here are some most important health checkups for obese people.
- You can be advised to take blood tests for type 2 diabetes, thyroid, and other such problems. It is also advisable to check if you suffer from problems like high cholesterol, or high triglyceride level. Your blood pressure needs to be checked and the doctor will take an account of your family history and personal history, such as eating and drinking pattern, lifestyle etc.
- Measuring your waist is another important thing if you are diagnosed as obese. People, who are obese, tend to have a layer of fat around their waist known as abdominal fat or visceral fat. Depending on the waist size and the BMI the risk of coronary artery disease and type 2-diabetes are determined. The higher the size, the higher will be the risk of such problems.
- BMI is another unit that needs to be checked regularly, especially if you are obese. Both BMI and waist measurement should be taken at least once every year. This will give you an indication of your health condition, how much weight you should lose among other things.
- It is also important to decide your body fat percentage which is different from your body mass index. Along with it, you should also undertake tests to find out your basal metabolic rate or BMR. This is related to the performance of your digestive system, and when a doctor is aware of your BMR, then it will be easier to prescribe the food you should consume or the calories you need on a daily basis.
- When it comes to fitness test, one would see that not all sorts of regular fitness tests can be taken by an obese person. For example, an obese person will not be able to take the maximum endurance tests. But there are alternative tests that they can take. Thus when an obese person is undertaking fitness tests, the distance, time or weight needs to be modified according to their capacity. This is to be done by a professional.
Thus, these are some important checkups that an obese person should take. It is important for an obese person to be more careful of his or her health because, he or she is already suffering from the condition obesity.