Heart patients need to be very careful about what they eat and what they don’t. Changes in diet can considerably make a difference in the way the heart functions and those who have had any heart related issues in the past need to watch what they eat at all times.
Rather than just cutting down on unhealthy items, it is also important to add heart healthy foods to the diet. For anyone who is looking for meal plans for heart patients, the following given information will prove to be very useful.
- As far as breakfast is concerned, heart patients can either have a cup of oatmeal with walnuts and cinnamon along with a banana and skimmed milk or go for low fat plain yoghurt with ¾ cup of blueberries and a glass of orange juice.
- Heart patients can also include items like salads without dressings, tomatoes, sandwiches and others in the breakfast meal.
- Those suffering from a heart ailment can have 1 whole wheat pita stuffed with shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese in their lunch meal. This can be clubbed along with 1 kiwi and 1 cup skimmed milk. This meal is a good combination of many nutrients which can improve the heart health.
- Another idea for a lunch meal for heart patients is 1 cup low fat plain yoghurt with 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds along with toast crackers, and peace halves in about ½ a cup quantity.
- Some other items that can be added to lunch meals as sides include 1 cup raw broccoli and cauliflower, 2 tablespoons low fat cream cheese of a plain or vegetable flavour and sparking water.
- For heart patients, it is important to have dinner atleast a few hours before going to bed. For dinner, those with a heart condition can have grilled turkey burger with a whole grain bun, ½ cup green beans with some toasted almonds, 2 cups mixed salad greens and 1 cup skimmed milk.
- Another dinner meal idea to have as side dishes is having 2 tablespoon of low fat salad dressing, 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds, 1 small orange and a cup of skimmed milk.
- Another perfect dinner meal idea for heart patients is having chicken stir fry with eggplant and basil, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 1 cup brown rice with 1 tablespoon chopped dried apricots and 4 ounces of red wine or grape juice.
- As far as snacks are concerned, it is better to avoid fast food and include items like 3 graham cracker squares or 1 cup fat free frozen yoghurt. This can be had any time in the day in between meals.
- Another idea for snacking through the day for heart patients includes having nuts and seeds that are healthy for the heart and low on fats.
- Heart patients can also have 9 animal crackers along with 1 cup skimmed milk.