Having diarrhea is a very common problem and so you hardly need to worry about it if taken care of in the early hours. If it aggravates, there are reasons to worry about as it drains a sufficient amount of liquid from your body and thus completely dehydrates your body.
Diarrhea may be caused due to many factors. It can be stomach flu or a meal that can make you a diarrhea patient. It can be a sumptuous meal or just one ingredient of food that can make you uncomfortable during any party or a journey. It is really an annoyance for anyone and may be dangerous at times, especially for children and elderly people.
What is Diarrhea?
Diarrhea is defined clinically as “loose, watery stool that occur more frequently than usual.” It can be caused due to bacteria from any kind of contaminated food or water. Food intolerance is one of the major reasons behind Diarrhea. You may also suffer from diarrhea because of some medicines like antibiotics. Generally it has been observed that it gets cleared up within three days with adequate amount of fluid and electrolyte intake. If not cured, it is advisable to visit the doctor. Food can also play an important role in handling Diarrhea and helps in fast recovery.
Things to Keep in Mind
If you are suffering from diarrhea, make sure that you follow the below given guidelines:
- Solid food must be avoided and consume enough amount of fluid.
- Dairy products must be avoided. You can only take curd as it is good for intestinal infection.
- Avoid those foods which you feel you are allergic to.
- To solidify your stool, it is advisable to consume pectin –rich fruits and vegetables like apples, potatoes, carrot, etc.
- Alcohol and caffeine dehydrate the body and so must be surely avoided.
- Food that contains artificial sweeteners has a laxative effect on your intestine. So avoid artificial sweeteners.
- There are certain food that causes gas in your body like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and more. Keep yourself away from such vegetables.
Foods in Diarrhea:
To keep a control over diarrhea you must indulge yourself in the following food items:
- Banana: As bananas are rich in potassium it can be a good replacement for electrolytes. It is easily digested and so is highly beneficial in diarrhea.
- Rice: Boiled white rice is highly effective as it acts as a binding agent and helps to solidify the stool.
- Apples: Rich in pectin, apples helps to fight diarrhea. You should not consume the skin as it may be difficult to digest.
- Bread: Plain white toast also serves as a binding agent.
- Potatoes: Potatoes are rich in starch and so consuming boiled potatoes without the skin acts as a binding agent.
- Carrots: It has pectin that helps to get rid of any stomach infection. Cooked carrots are easy to digest.
- Lean Meat: In diarrhea, if you want to have meat, consume only lean meat as it is easy to digest. Avoid red meat.
To keep away diarrhea, include potassium rich food in your diet as it helps to retain water in your body.