Have you ever been irritated with the problem of having running nose? This is generally due to the most common seasonal problem Common Cold. It is a viral infection of the respiratory tract. More than 250 different airborne viruses are known to cause cold. It primarily affects the nose. Common cold is transmitted by infected airborne droplets or by direct contact with infected secretions. It usually lasts in week of days. Adults experience 3-4 colds per annum and children experience 10-12 colds annually. It is important to treat a cold before it leads to other infections like bronchitis and pneumonia. It is a self limited condition and generally manageable at home. Many natural treatments offer an effective relief to treat common cold naturally at home.
- Garlic: Boil four to five garlic cloves in a cup of water and add one teaspoon of honey and drink it 2-3 times a day to get rid of cold. Garlic is good for the immune system and it also helps to open up respiratory passages. It helps to flush toxins out of body. It also has antibacterial and antiviral properties which are helpful in treating symptoms associated with common cold.
- Honey: Take one teaspoon of lemon juice with two teaspoons of honey. Honey contains antioxidant, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that fight against the virus and bacteria to treat the cold and its underlying symptoms. It helps to soothe a sore throat naturally and relieves from irritation. It allows to boosts the immune system which reduces the severity of cold.
- Turmeric: Mix a teaspoon of turmeric in warm milk to relief from cold and cough. Take this on daily bases until you see the results. Both milk and turmeric are having the antioxidant properties. Warm milk helps to reduce the secretion of mucus. I prefer taking turmeric milk rather than any other medication for treating common cold.
- Chicken soup: Taking chicken soup daily helps to treat common cold. Chicken soup is a time honoured remedy to treat common cold naturally. This hot soup thins the mucus. Garlic allows in killing germs. Chicken soup also contains many vitamins and nutrients with high antioxidant properties and which helps in healing process.
- Cinnamon tea: Mix a tablespoon of powdered cinnamon and two cloves in a glass of boiling water. Allow it to boil for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain and drink it while it is still warm. Drink this tea one to three times a day. It helps to fight against the pain and sore throat caused due to the common cold.