Vomiting blood is a condition which is medically termed as hematemesis and is referred to as the regurgitation of the various contents in the stomach mixed along with blood. Seeing blood in vomit may panic a lot of people but it is important to know that sometimes it is also caused by certain minor reasons like swallowing from an injury in the mouth or through nose bleed.
But in certain cases, you may observe blood in vomit due to serious medical conditions like organ rupture and hence you should never take a chance and always consult a doctor if something like this occurs. The following are some of the most common reasons for blood in vomit:
Minor Causes of Blood in Vomit
The following is a list of some of the minor causes of blood in vomit:
- Swallowing blood which comes from a mouth injury is one of the most minor reasons for blood in vomit.
- Irritation in esophagus is yet another minor cause of blood in vomit.
- A tear caused in the esophagus because of chronic coughing may also lead to blood in vomit.
- Another common cause of the same is having nosebleeds.
Other Causes of Blood in Vomit
The following are some of the other reasons why blood may come along with vomiting:
- Another cause of vomiting blood is having stomach ulcers. In this case, a proper medical treatment is to be taken.
- If a person takes aspirin on a regular basis, then he/she may too observe blood in vomit on some occasions and may have to immediately stop consumption of it.
- Having gastritis is yet another reason why vomiting blood condition may occur.
- Pancreatitis is yet another medical condition due to which blood may come along with vomit.
- Blood in vomit may also occur as a side effect of taking non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen.
Serious Reasons for Blood in Vomit
The following is the list of some serious reasons for blood in vomit:
- One of the most serious reasons for blood in vomit is cirrhosis.
- Another matter of concern due to which one may see blood coming out with vomit is esophageal cancer.
- Alcoholic hepatitis is yet another medical condition, a symptom of which is having blood in vomit.
- Pancreatic cancer may also result in vomiting blood.
- In some cases, the lining of the stomach may get eroded and due to this, one may see blood coming out along with vomiting.
Reasons for Blood in Vomit Among Children
In some cases, children may too see blood with their vomit and the possible reasons or causes for this have been given below:
- In some children, blood may come out with vomit due to a certain birth defect and one must always consult the doctor to get this verified.
- Another cause for blood in vomit in children is swallowing either blood or any foreign object.
Thus whatever may be the reason for blood in vomit, it is always advisable to consult a doctor.