Have you ever experienced foul smell coming from your own or someone else’s feet? Smell and stinky feet is an issue which is not only unpleasant to you but also to others around you. It can be a cause of embarrassment in public places and is something which you must definitely check and try to avoid.
Before finding a cure for the same, you must first understand what exactly are the reasons for it. There are many different causes of foot odor and also many remedies. The following are the most common reasons for stinky feet as well as their solutions.
Common Causes for Foot Odor
- Our feet are the natural habitat of millions of bacteria that can thrive on shed skin cells and sweat. These bacteria may produce by-products which can give feet that smell.
- When we wear shoes for long durations of time, our feet tend to get sweaty and this leads to a foul smell.
- Foot odor can also be caused by poorly controlled fungal infections like athlete’s foot.
- People with conditions like diabetes or heart disease are also more prone to foot infections and foot odors due to inefficient circulation or flow or blood in their bodies.
Best Solutions for Treating Stinky Feet
- One of the best ways to keep odor in feet at bay is to dust them with soda bicarbonate. This ingredient neutralizes odor. Also you can sprinkle a little corn flour as it helps to absorb the moisture and prevents the feet from getting sweaty.
- Another brilliant way to avoid or treat foot odor is to mix around 400 grams of Epsom salt with 3 liters warm water in a bucket and then soak your feet in this mixture for about 15 minutes every day. Epsom salts have an astringent property through which the sweat gets treated and the bacteria is killed.
- You can also use lavender oil to treat the problem of smelly or stinky feet. Lavender oil smells great and also helps to kill the odor-causing bacteria. What you can do is that you can rub a few drops of lavender essential oil onto your feet and massage it before you go to bed. Cover your feet with socks to lock in the effects of this oil.
- You can try a black tea footbath to get rid of stinky feet. For this, you will first need to simmer 2 tea bags in about 500 ml of water for about 15 minutes and then remove the bags to dilute the tea with about 2 liters of water. Soak your feet in this tea for about 20-30 minutes and repeat this process every day. The tannic acid present in black tea can kill the bacteria which cause odor and also closes the pores which in turn leads to less sweating and hence less stinky smell.
- Always dry your feet completely before putting on socks or shoes after a bath.