A yeast infection is a kind of an infection which occurs when too many yeast cells grow in the vagina. Most of these infections are caused by a kind of yeast known as Candida albicans. Yeast infections are very common among teenagers and adult women and also among diabetics and pregnant women. These infections can lead to itching, burning and discharge but these are not very serious side effects. To know more about the various signs/symptoms and treatment methods of this kind of an infection, you can go through the following given information.
Signs and Symptoms of Yeast Infection
- One of the first ways to identify a yeast infection is by the burning and itching sensation that is felt near and on the vagina. If you experience continuous itching down there, then this may be a symptom.
- Another main symptom of yeast infection is a pale and chalky kind of a discharge from the vagina. If this is accompanied with the itching then this is definitely a symptom.
- A certain discomfort to the level of pain may also be experienced in some of the extreme cases and this can also be considered as a sign of a yeast infection.
Treatment and Diagnosis
If you experience any of the above given symptoms or signs of a yeast infection, then you must try to get it diagnosed as early as possible. If the diagnosis is positive, then the treatment should follow. The following are some of the treatment ways for a yeast infection.
- To maintain the levels of beneficial bacteria in the vagina, one must always avoid douching, unless the doctor tells you to do otherwise. Yeast loves warmth and moisture and hence yeast prone areas like the vagina must be kept dry and clean always.
- Make sure you always shower after working out and then put on some dry and clean clothing after it. This helps to avoid sweat from accumulating and moisture from developing in the vaginal area.
- Always wear loose fitting and breathable materials and clothes, especially in the summers. If you are suffering from a yeast infection, then you must avoid wearing silky undergarments or those which are tight.
- Avoid scratching the itchy area as this can only make the condition worse.
- A good solution to treat the yeast infection is taking oral medication. There are many over the counter medications which can be taken to cure the infection in the fastest possible manner. These medications do not take more than 24 hours to clear the yeast infection.
- In some cases, doctors may also suggest to apply some over the counter creams or lotions in the vaginal area if it has become red due to itching or burning. These help to provide a lot of relief and must be used on regular intervals.
It is important to take the over the counter medication and creams only after a consultation with a doctor and not without it.