Acidity is caused when there is an increased amount of gastric acid secretion in stomach. When the acid secretion is excessive, you feel like “heartburn”, which can be triggered if you have spicy foods. However, there are also many more reasons for acidity like empty stomach for long durations, irregular meals, etc.
Pangs of acidity are a very common occurrence these days to most of the people, irrespective of age and gender. Its characterised by burning sensation in the throat, sour taste, gas formation, nausea, vomiting, belching, fatigue, mouth ulcers etc.
Experts say that stress is also a prime cause for acidity; too much of family tensions and work pressure over a long period can lead to chronic acidity problems. To say goodbye to acidity you don’t need to do really much, a few home remedies work like magic and you don’t need to pop up strong pills of acidity to cure it; here is the list for you –
This is the preliminary medicine to treat acidity and the probably the most effective one. Drink at least 2 glasses of water empty stomach when you wake up; this flush out the excess of acid and other toxins that accumulates in your body all through the night. Coconut water is also helpful in treating acidity; you should have it at least thrice a day.
Tulsi or Basil Leaves
For instant relief from acidity, chew few tulsi leaves. You will also get the same effect if you sip a glass of water boiled with few mint leaves.
Saunf or Aniseed
Chewing saunf after meals is a very good habit and it helps to prevent acidity as it helps in digestion. During heartburn, you can take a teaspoon of saunf and a cup of boiled water, let it seep for at least 3-4 hours and drink it. Adding honey to this mixture is further beneficial and you can sip it throughout the day to ward off acidity.
As an acidity buster, milk has been proven as beneficial either ways, hot, or cold. It neutralizes the acidic effect brought by the food thereby offering a relief to your body. However, keep in mind that all kinds of acidity do not get soothed by milk – some gets subsided while the other type can be aggravated.
Another readily available option to cure acidity is almonds (badam), raisins (kishmish) dried figs (anjeer) that subsides the burning sensation in the stomach.
Not all, but some fruits help in reducing acidity like papayas, bananas and watermelons.
Clove and Ginger
Take a piece of clove and keep it in your mouth for some time, chew it slowly for hours; the juice dissolves into the saliva and aids in digestion. Ginger used while cooking is also known to prevent acidity and heartburn.
Apart from these tips and foods that aid in handling acidity, you can also consider the following tips –
- Fatty, spicy, fried and junk food should be strictly avoided.
- Chocolates can increase acidity troubles, thus avoid them as well.
- Carbohydrate rich diet helps in preventing acidity; cereals like rice do not cause much acidity.
- Take your dinner at least 2 hours before sleep and try to take a brisk walk of about 30 minutes for better digestion.
- Control weight gain and keep acidity at bay.
- Alcohol, smoking and aerated drinks aggravate acidity problems.
- Eat small meals at regular intervals.
- Avoid chutneys, vinegar and spicy pickles.
- Try to consume more of homemade food than those from restaurants.
- During emergency acidity bouts, eat overripe bananas, the excess potassium works as an antidote during that hour.