Black cumin seeds also called as Nigella sativa or kalonji (in Hindi) is a flowering plant used to cure many ailments. Middle Eastern countries have been using Nigella sativa as a natural remedy from past 2000 years. Black cumin is referred to as “blessed seed” in Middle East due to the Holy Scripture references regarding the seeds. Black cumin is known to have medicinal property which makes it more beneficial for health. The medicinal properties include the following:
There are 2 chemical components present in the seeds which makes it beneficial for health. The components of black cumin include thymoquinone and thymohydroquinone which are responsible for all the health benefits. Traditionally black cumin stimulates the body’s energy. It also boosts up the immune system to prevent illness.
Nutritional Value of Black Cumin Seeds
There are many different nutritious components present in the black seed.
It is a rich source of iron, sodium, calcium and potassium. B-complex vitamins like niacin, folic acid and thiamine are present in the black seeds. The rich source of dietary fibres are present in black cumin seeds in the form of non-starchy polysaccharides. The seeds contain high content of proteins and arginine. Arginine is essential for infant growth. Fatty acids and linoleic acid are present in large quantity in black cumin seeds. The carotene present in the black cumin seeds is converted into vitamin A in liver.
Benefits of Black Cumin
- Memory enhancement – black cumin seeds increases memory of the person.
- Digestion – dehydration can be controlled with roasted black cumin seeds. It helps in proper digestion and diarrhoea.
- Anti-oxidant – Black cumin seeds inhibit reactive oxygen species. It helps in restoring the activity of antioxidant enzymes.
- Anti-inflammatory – thymoquinone present in the black cumin seeds have the anti inflammatory activity.
- Anti-Anxiety – Black cumin seeds help in stabilizing mood and reduce anxiety. Black cumin seeds also acts as anti-depressants.
- Weight loss – Black cumin seeds acts as anti-obesity agent. Men lose more weight with black cumin seeds when compared to women.
- Gut protection – black cumin seeds have anti ulcer properties against Heliobacter pylori.
- Anti-bacterial – The antibacterial effect of black cumin is seen against bacterial like Staphylococcus aureus. The biofilm formation can be prevented by black cumin seeds.
- Antifungal – The antifungal activity of black cumin seeds is seen against Candida albicans.
- Anti viral – Many viral infections can be cured by black cumin seeds. It is used to reduce the viral load in the body. The hepatitis c virus infection can be treated with black cumin seeds.
- Anti parasitic – Black cumin seeds have antiparsasitic activity. The seeds are used to kills parasite in patients. The parasitic infections like plasmodium infection are cured by the black cumin seeds and black cumin oil.
- Histamine intolerance – black cumin oil helps in controlling the histamine levels in the body. The histamine release from mast cells is inhibited by the mast cells.
- Immunity – Black cumin seeds helps in boosting immunity.
- Anti- cancer Black cumin seeds help in treating different type of cancers. Liver cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer and bladder cancer can be cured with black cumin seeds.
- Heart disease – The seeds help in the recovery of heart tissue followed by a heart disease.
- Testosterone levels – Black cumin is used to balance the testosterone levels in the body.
- Asthma – black cumin seeds are boiled and the extract of seeds is used to cure asthma symptoms. The seeds have lung enhancing properties and reduce rhinitis symptoms.
- Neuroprotective agent – Black cumin seeds have neuroprotective effects. They prevent the nervous system disorder.
- Pain killer – Black cumin have analgesic properties. Seeds are used to cure pain caused by different diseases.
- Osteoporosis & arthritis- black cumin oil is good for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. The pain caused due to arthritis is reduced with black cumin oil.
- Kidney stones – Kidney injuries and kidney stones can be prevented with black cumin seeds. The seeds help in removing the toxins from kidney and prevent formation of stone due to accumulation of urinary substances.
- Anti-epileptic – black cumin seeds are used as anti-epileptic drugs as it helps in curing the epileptic seizures.
- Male fertility – consuming 1 tablespoon of black cumin oil improves the semen quantity in infertile men and does not have any side effects
- Antiseptic – People with open wounds are at high risk of infections. The spread of infection on the skin can be prevented with black cumin oil and it also helps in relieving pain in the body.
- Opioid dependence – Drug addiction can be cured with black cumin seeds. These seeds help the patient to get rid of opioid dependence. It also helps in curing the infections caused due to addiction.
- Radio protective- black cumin seeds help in protecting the patients from harmful ionization radiations.
- Muscle spasm – Black cumin seeds have anti-spasmodic activity. They help in relieving the sudden muscle contractions caused in the body.
- Flu – Black cumin seeds helps in treating flu like symptoms caused due to weather or foreign micro organisms.
- Cough – Black cumin seeds helps in curing severe cough by clearing the passage.
- Anti-diabetic – Black cumin seeds are known to increase the release of insulin in the diabetic patients. It also helps in maintaining and balancing the levels of cholesterol in the body.
- Skin infections- Black cumin seeds prevent the skin infection in the patients suffering with skin related disorders. Black cumin seeds also help in keeping your skin healthy. Black cumin seed oil acts as skin moisturizer and also have anti-aging properties.
- Hair – Black cumin seeds reducing hair thinning and prevent hair damage. It also enhances the hair growth.
- Lead poisoning – lead is a harmful substance known to cause damage to different organs like brain, kidney, bones etc. Black seed oil helps in preventing and recovering the damage caused by lead poisoning.