Breast cancer is one of the most common types of cancers, which develops from breast cells. It usually begins in the inner lining of the milk ducts which supply them with milk. This tumor can also reach and spread to other body parts and in most cases, it occurs in females.
There are many reasons due to which breast cancer may occur and certain signs and symptoms through which one can identify it. It is important to visit a doctor as soon as you start observing the symptoms so as to get the treatment as soon as possible. The following is some more information on the causes and early symptoms of breast cancer
Causes of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer can occur due to genes and hereditary and it is known that women who have a relative with ovarian cancer are likely to develop breast cancer. However majority of breast cancers are not hereditary.
As a woman gets older, the risk of breast cancer keeps increasing. Most cases of this cancer occur in women who are older than 50 years of age.
Overweight women always have a higher chance of suffering from breast cancer as obese women have higher estrogen levels which may be a cause of this kind of cancer.
History of Breast Cancer
Those who have some kind of history of breast cancer may also be more at a risk than others because sometimes, not all cancerous cells go away and some may remain to develop a tumor again.
The more alcohol a female has the more she will be at a risk of breast cancer. The consumption must thus never exceed one drink a day.
Early Symptoms of Breast Cancer
- The very first symptom of breast cancer is usually a lump kind of feeling in one or both the breasts. The lump is basically thickened tissue in the woman’s breast. One must know that majority of lumps are not cancerous but must be checked nevertheless.
- A pain in the armpits or breasts which may not be related to the menstrual period of the woman.
- Another early symptom of breast cancer is pitting or redness of the skin of the breast. This appears like the skin of an orange.
- Another common symptom of breast cancer is a rash formation around the nipples.
- In some cases, there may be a swelling or lump formation in one of the armpits.
- One of the nipples may even start discharging and the discharge may also sometimes have some blood in it.
- The shape and size of the breast may even change and this is another sign of breast cancer.
- The skin of the breast or the nipple may start to scale, peel or flake.
- The appearance of the nipple may change and may become inverted or sunken.
- An area of thickened tissue in the breast may also occur and this is another symptom.